Two Hokies and a Poodle

Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Eagle landed...in San Diego

The Coast Guard’s tall ship The Eagle arrived in San Diego with my brother and his coastie friends on board. Surprisingly enough, I have actually never been on the Eagle until this visit. Usually, I am standing on a pier taking pictures, but this time I actually got to walk on board and go down into the berthing areas. The tour is self guided, and I must say I wasn’t that impressed, as I had to read signs and no one told me anything. Swabs…you need to work on that! The swabs also brought with them wonderful illnesses that I caught: strep throat and pink eye! (Though I'm pretty sure I got the pink eye in the doctors office dealing with the strep...thanks swabs...) But, my brother mentioned a few tidbits here and there, and I got pictures with the wheel, which is really all that is important! :) Even though I think I’ve mentioned this before, I’ll give you a very brief history of the ship. The Eagle was a German ship that was acquired into the US fleet following World War II, and now it serves as a training tool for the Coast Guard Academy. That’s really all you need to know. Tall ships are just cool in general…magnificent in the day and eerie at night. And I dropped these cadets at the ship enough times late at night to know that it is super eerie.

No comments: