Two Hokies and a Poodle

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Anchors Away...

The Eagle of the Sea set sail yesterday morning on its last mission ever. For those of you who of don’t know yet, James was sent to a ship that is being decommissioned in the Spring, and they are going on one last little tour to say goodbye. Most people on the ship that we’ve talked to are angry about going, as they just got back from a 7 month deployment, but James was excited about finally hitting the seas. After all…he’s been in the Navy for almost a year, and he has yet to set sail on the waters. AJ is a little bit depressed, but he should perk up in a few days once he realizes that life does go on without James, it’s just a little bit harder and lonelier. (It took him about a month last time, so let’s hope it only takes a few days this time around.) James took me to see the Tawara the night before he left, as I had never been on it. You can tell they’ve kind of let it go, despite the brand new exterior paint. Though James division’s hall was spick and span…you can see yourself in the brass, which is always a good sign. I think the ship knows that this is her last trip. It’s kind of eerie being on an old ship that is so large, even though I’ve been on ships my entire life. I saw the only room James works in that I was allowed to see and then we checked out his state room. At first he had it all to himself, but then they filled the remaining beds with midshipmen. I haven’t heard where they are from yet, or anything, as the internet has been down most the time James has been gone. Here are a few links about the Tarawa and it’s final deployment. San Diego article and video and the official Tarawa Website And…make sure you send James mail! Especially during the first week, as I don’t know how long it’s going to take to get there.
ENS Gouger
OPS/OZ
USS TARAWA LHA 1
FPO AP
96622-1600
James says the food is worse than the stuff he ate in Newport, which I can’t even begin to imagine. My meal there was inedible…and I chose to eat a granola bar and gold fish instead. Let’s hope he gets enough nutrition this month!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want a Tarawa baseball cap. It is certain to be a collector's item :~)

DadG

Anonymous said...

Should we send him power bars and beef jerky? Do the officers still have their own mess and pay for that themselves or is that not practiced anymore?
DadG

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we have to pay for the awful food. And we have to pay kind of alot for it! Mess dues...Gotta love the Navy....:|

Anonymous said...

anything we shouldn't send?