Two Hokies and a Poodle

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

neVer forgeT

Six months ago today, our world was changed. I know that many of you are tired of hearing about April 16th, but it is something that affects my life every day, and it is something that James and I will always bring up. Our lives will never be the same, and although each day is a little easier, each day is also a little harder. It’s been six months. It is so hard to believe that six months ago started like any other Monday. I got to work about 3 minutes late, heard about the first shootings, and immediately locked the door. Minutes later, we were in over our heads, and I have never been more scared in my life. Every time I hear a siren, everything comes back to me, and every time I call AJ’s name, I think of Stack. I guess it is something we will learn to live with, but it still seems so unbelievable. (Tonight's the night my world begins again...) To honor the victims, Virginia Tech has begun an initiative called VTEngage, where every person on campus, and friends and family members of Virginia Tech have been challenged to pledge 10 hours of community service. http://www.engage.vt.edu/ Check it out and pledge your 10 hours today! As part of my community service hours, I will be assistant teaching an ESL class through the YMCA. For those of you who do not know, I am currently working towards a Masters in Teaching English As A Second Language through Regent University. I love it so far, and it keeps me busy with James being away. I will also be traveling to New Orleans for the third time over thanksgiving break to honor the memory of Stack, whom James and I went to New Orleans with the first Thanksgiving after Katrina. It will be an emotionally difficult week, as the United Methodist Relief Center whom we work through will be dedicating a house to him, as well as Leslie. Unlike our other trips though, we will be rebuilding, with a focus on hope and the future, rather than tearing down and cleaning up. http://www.ymcasp.org.vt.edu/ASB/Fall%20Trips.htm I still can’t believe that it has been six months. We Remember….and We will Never Forget!

No comments: