Two Hokies and a Poodle

Friday, July 11, 2008

First San Diegan Meal

Apparently you have to ask for your Salmon to be cooked on the West Coast. Or actually smoked. For lunch, we went to a good looking bagel shop, similar to a place we had recently been to in Charlottesville, France, VA. Enjoying the cool air, we ordered sandwiches and ate outside, much to AJ’s delight, as anything was better than being in the car. Angela’s turkey bagel sandwich was great, and mine tasted good at first. Halfway through my bagel, I realized I had not tasted any salmon yet, and I had ordered the SMOKED SALMON sandwich. Opening the bagel, I discovered a raw heap of pink fish, surrounded by fresh lettuce and cream cheese. Everything was so deliberate and of good quality, it seems odd that someone had neglected to actually cook the salmon. We were not at a sushi place, but a regular bagel shop, where salmon was the only seafood on the menu. Luckily I have had salmon sushi and was not totally repulsed, but I doubt this restaurant regularly prepared raw fish for consumption. I was grossed out…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm repulsed. When I visit I will ask for everything well done! Sushi you expect to be raw, not a sandwich

Anonymous said...

Your waiter and/or cook probably couldn't under the King's English. Get used to it out there. In Cali-fornia, a white American is a minority.

Unknown said...

Its not raw...it's lox! :) CA sure can have some interesting food!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lox