Two Hokies and a Poodle

Monday, July 16, 2007

We Remember...and We Still Mourn


It’s been three months today, and we feel like it was years ago, and yet just yesterday at the same time. Freshmen are bombarding campus, and we know our campus is moving on, as students who were not here replace students who were deeply affected. We have our moments….some bad….some good…but not a week goes by when I don’t spend an entire day thinking about it…looking at pictures of Stack, going to his facebook page, to memorial sites, and just thinking about how much our lives have be changed forever. Although I’m happy we are going on with life, I’m saddened at the same time. We are angry that all of the flowers and memorials have been removed from the WAJ sign just before orientation began. Everyone knows that two students were killed there, and it makes me so mad that Stack’s flowers and pictures are gone. They are working on the new “temporary” memorial in front of Burruss. They say it is temporary, but I would like to see it in that same spot forever…in the center of our campus, with Norris hall just on the left. It’s important that we continue to remember…and never forget what happened on April 16th. I haven’t watched the news since April…or even really read a news page, paper, or magazine. I was disgusted, and although I anxiously await football season, I feel like our season will be exploited. Let us just be our own Hokies again…without the media…and without the exploitation.

No comments: