Two Hokies and a Poodle

Thursday, August 03, 2006

1300+ miles


In a little over two and a half days we covered the distance from Virginia Beach to Waco, Texas. I-64 to I-81 to I-40 to I-30 to I-35. Luckily, we had Rod along with us to lighten the driving load. We made great time with good weather and little traffic, which was surprising in the metro areas of Tennessee. We stopped for the night in Arkadelphia, Arkansas after an 800 mile journey from Blacksburg in one day. On Wednesday, we had a nice half day drive around Dallas to Waco. Driving into Waco we could see the spires of Baylor University from a good distance off, which was welcoming after the miles of dry farmland we drove through. Our apartment complex is on the edge of city limits, with only ranches covering the distance between here and College Station. Rod helped us unload our moving truck and general apartment repair. He even took us down to Fort Hood for some tax free grocery shopping. That trip is worth a blog in itself. I'll let Angela now give her rendering of the drive:

The trip was awesome, and one of the smoothest ones I've ever been on! No bad weather, no accidents, no rush hour traffic, just a nice drive. And I only drove about 6 hours of the trip, so I was really enjoying myself! We altered the route about 40 miles so we could say goodbye to good ole Blacksburg one last time before heading out west. We stayed with Cathy, enjoyed one last meal at Macados, and headed out to the long drive of Tennessee, which, if you haven't driven through Tennessee, it never ends. Though, I must say it is a pretty drive, and very much worth it. Plus, I thought of Sarah James and Jacob the whole time, and their beautiful wedding! Congrats you two! :-)

The country out here is so beautiful, and the sky seems so much bigger than Virginia's for some reason. It was great having my Dad along for the ride, as it was our last chance to hang out with him before he heads to Iraq. So...here we are in Texas....miles and miles away from Hokie country, but about to have an awesome adventure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your dad is AWESOME!