Two Hokies and a Poodle

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Miss Bianca and Bernard

Ever since I watched the Rescuers as a little girl, I’ve always wanted to go boating through a swamp. I think that movie also encouraged me to want to adopt a child one day…I mean…who wouldn’t want a little Penny with pig tails? It’s amazing how influential movies are in children’s life…I mean…just watch Happy Feet. Doesn’t it make you want to save the penguins and save the earth? And the Lorax? Who doesn’t love the Lorax?
"I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees.
I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs"-
he was very upset as he shouted and puffed-
"What's that THING you've made out of my Truffula tuft?"
(Mary…you HAVE to read this book!) Perhaps it’s because I grew up in California to be an environmentally conscious liberal, and their classroom agenda is to encourage us to be tree huggers! And I probably love adopting dogs because of Oliver & Company. Cartoons corrupted me! Anyways…the Rescuers was released in 1977, six years before I was even born, yet it is one of my favorite movies of all time. So last weekend, I finally had the chance to canoe through an awesome swamp! James and I drove down to Merchant Mills Pond in North Carolina (which is a little less than 40 miles from Virginia Beach) and enjoyed a few hours out on the water. The swamp was surreal, like something out of a movie. The peace and quiet was intense, and as you listen to the birds and the bugs, you can easily get lost in the eerie beauty of the moss and green water. The spiders in the canoe didn’t even bother me, and I enjoyed watching them scatter about the water lilies. We saw lots of sunbathing turtles, lots of bugs, majestic birds, some fish, and an adorable little red frog. There were signs for alligators, and I was hoping to see one, but unfortunately we didn’t cross paths. There is something really special about moss hanging off of a dead tree reflecting in a calm pond on a late spring day. We could have spent hours out there on the pond, but work beckoned us back to the suburbs. North America is a blessed continent geographically, and we are excited to leave one coastal plain to see mountains, Great Plains, desert, and a southwestern coastal new home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we went on a field trip in Middle School there. If you are talented and gifted you get to appreciate the environment when you grow up in the 757