Two Hokies and a Poodle

Friday, May 30, 2008

Virginia is for Wine Lovers

Wine is such an interesting industry; a unique combination of art and science, that either pleases or disgusts. The more I learn about wine, the more interested in it I become, and I really wish I hadn’t dropped that Wine class I was taking in college. James stayed in his Beer class, and he learned how to brew his own beer! I think I'll take a class in wine when I get a chance. Last year, we began the annual girls wine trip away in North Carolina’s Yadkin Valley, and we continued it this year in Charlottesville, Virginia! Charlottesville is the center of Virginia 's wine industry, so we thought it would be a great place to start. We had been planning this trip for weeks, and then when we went to get a hotel room, we realized it was UVA’s graduation weekend! What horrible planning! There was nothing available within an hour of Charlottesville, and the one hotel we did find about that far away was $300 a night! Thankfully, Grandpa and Grandma Gouger have a farmhouse in Louisa, which is only 30 minutes from Charlottesville, so not only did we get to enjoy a weekend of wine, but we also got to enjoy the farmhouse! And I absolutely love the farm! It is such an awesome treasure in our family, and I love being able to spend time there. The only problem was that the wineries were packed because of graduation, but we were still able to visit five. On the first day, we made it to three, and on the second day, we invite James to join us for the last two! We began at Jefferson's Winery (of course), and then headed to Oakencroft vineyard, until we ended up at Whitehall vineyards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will next years Wine Trip take place in Napa Valley?

Anonymous said...

There will at least be one next year ;-) I can't wait!