Two Hokies and a Poodle

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hidden Treasures

Amidst endless stoplights, backed up traffic, crowded neighborhoods, and the infinite number of strip malls in Virginia Beach lies a wonderful getaway called Back Bay. Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge renews my spirit and gives me hope that despite the chaotic mess of every day life, there is peace and joy just down the road. Soon, tourists will flock into town to cover the beaches and buy saltwater taffy, yet we still have an oasis away from them all nestled in Sand Bridge. If you haven’t been to Back Bay, I strongly encourage you to visit. It is a natural refuge along the Virginia, North Carolina border, covering over 9,000 acres of dunes, shoreline, and marsh. James and I often spent summers riding our bikes and walking along the beach there, but our lives get so busy, we often forget that this uplifting park is there for us. Every time I visit, I am reminded that I picked the wrong majors in college. I love animals… I love the wilderness… I love the sea… I just love God’s creation. Despite all of this, I majored in Communication and Political Science… hmmm. A little known fact: James and I both began college as Biology Majors. And our first semester Biology professors were both awful, providing enough encouragement for us to both drop out into something else. Our second semester Biology professor was incredible! His name was Dr. Simmons, and he only taught Biology to non majors, which is such a shame (and he only taught at 8:00 in the morning… hence the reason I began to drink coffee). Despite going into a field that has nothing to do with the outdoors, I still have the comfort of knowing I can enjoy God’s beauty nonetheless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Simmons was the best! Does he still go to Antartica every year? One of our swimmers went down with him one year.

Anonymous said...

And who was the wise older sister who told both of you that he was worth getting up at 8am for?

Anonymous said...

Dr. Simmons is the best! I'm not sure if he is still going to Antartica, but I spent an entire summer with him at orientation listening to him talk about it...it was fascinating! The same lecture like...10 times! And then the next year I went on a canoeing trip with him and the Hillcrest kids...he's one of my favorite professors and I only had him for one class. Now, he's driving the BT in his spare time! Seriously!