Two Hokies and a Poodle

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Another fun weekend in New England!

I love New England! I think that if James and I had more money, I would have moved up there just so I could enjoy a beautiful area while I vigorously worked on my Masters degree. It would have been a nice retreat, and I could have spent moments here and there with James, whenever he had a free moment or two. Thankfully, I have been able to visit him a few times, and I have absolutely loved it. This past visit included the best clam chowder ever at a cute little restaurant in Downtown Newport, and a beautiful sunset along Ocean Drive! I had some time to myself, and I visited an old windmill, which was so peaceful and beautiful, despite the cold weather. We were also able to visit our second Vanderbilt mansion, The Marble House, being the 39th birthday present of Mrs. Alva Vanderbilt. It was interesting, as the tour was self paced using head sets, which was a little bit too impersonal for me, but at least I learned something this time. Mrs. Alva even had her own tea house built in the backyard. The Marble House was definitely my favorite of the two, and I am excited to visit one more on my next journey to Rhode Island! The class of 03-08 had a class get together, so I was able to meet James’ entire class, which was nice. I was the only guest there, which was a little awkward at first, but it ended up being nice. Although, I almost had to take out his Chief for ragging on Virginia Tech when I was not in the mood to hear it, and talking about how wonderful Miami is, even though he didn’t even go there. Clearly, I was not amused. But, it was fun nonetheless. The night before, we had enjoyed a nice dinner with about half of his class at a Brewery near the base. The guy’s favorite drink was Blueberry beer, which I thought was disgusting and had blueberries floating throughout it.

No comments: