Two Hokies and a Poodle

Thursday, September 07, 2006

College Station...as Angela see's it

Can I just say how happy I was to be on a huge college campus again? I mean...there is something really to be said about public schools and the nice comfortable feeling you get when you step onto them. Maybe it was just good to be away from Baylor and Waco (which it was!), and be on a campus that reminded us of home. Being surrounded by maroon was a wonderful thing, with people who you felt a connection with. It was truly amazing...let me tell you! And there was a Jimmy Johns!! And a Kroger!! And coffee shops!! And things you would expect to see in a college town. To sum the entire experience up...it was great!

Having said what an awesome experience it was, I must say that Aggie fans are very different...in their own special way. Who has ever heard of a major college football team without cheerleaders? And who has a mascot that you never see? I mean...I looked for that dog almost the entire game....and I was wearing my glasses...and I never saw him/her. And they bury all of the past dogs in the same place...and they have people from the corp guard the burial ground while guarantying they can see the game. Is that weird? But...they have a canon...and it's pretty impressive. Although they shot it off prematurely when the ball was only on the 2 yard line! That made me laugh!! :-D

The top ten reasons to be an Aggie tshirt: 1. People who wear burnt orange are sick...(which was really funny...because they have these crazy screens around their stadium…you can see them in the pictures...and every time their symbol came up...it was burnt orange...on maroon...who designed that??) 5. Because if I lived in Waco for 4 years I'd kill myself....HAHAHAHA....that is sooooo funny...and so true!!!!!! At least I laughed...until I realized we were about to drive back to Waco, and the joke was really on me.
The game was very enjoyable though, good fans, good band, god atmosphere. Their band is actually very good...much better than the Highty Tighty’s. They are a corp band, 303 strong, and not only march well, but they sound great! The corp is pretty impressive, although the yell leaders from the corp really freaked me out. Apparently it's a huge honor, but I really feel like they need cheerleaders!!

The 12th Man TV, or something like that....the new jumbotron. For those of you who have been to a game at UVA, you will appreciate this. Jumbotron...tell me what to do...I don't know! When the jumbotron (which is huge and VERY impressive) tells you to turn this way...literally every head in the stadium turns and looks at it! It's like this crazy magnet that seriously pulls all 80,000 heads towards it at the same time...and then an eerie silence falls over the stadium. Dead silence with 80,000 people is freaky!!!

And...we are NOT the only team who eats our mascot at football games!! James and I definitely had Aggie Dogs for dinner, and although they were not turkey legs, they were still very good! One thing that did make me mad, and I think I might write their athletic department about this one, is the way they portrayed Virginia Tech. Whenever you go to someone else's stadium to watch their team play, you always look to the little flashing other game scores to make yourself feel better about your own school. So we are waiting and watching...and then something happens. #17 Virginia....whaaaaaa?????? Excuse me...but can you add a tech to that? I was pretty upset...and you would think that a school who was an A&M...not a Texas would understand what a grave mistake that was. James thinks they are still just upset about us beating them two years in a row in 2002 and 2003. I'll let you know if I get a response from their Athletic department....

As we were walking to the old oak where everyone gets proposed to, this old man says to us....oh....going to the oak tree to propose? I mean...really now....he could have just ruined our engagement. I could have had no idea...the thought could have never crossed my mind...and then I could have started thinking...hmmm...am I getting a ring??? Good thing we were already married...but...funny nonetheless. I think we'll go back...I have three more game faces...and I am prepared to use them! :-)

No comments: