Two Hokies and a Poodle

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Baking a Bundt Orange Bowl

I finally baked my first cake. I married into a family of talented cake bakers, and have been spoiled by their prowess with the oven. Last summer, Angela came across a bundt cake pan in the shape of a football stadium, which we felt would be great for hosting during important Hokie games on ESPNHD. I had a terrible shopping experience and did not purchase a bundt cake mix... so we improvised. We have wonderful kitchen gadgets from our wedding I still have not used, so mixing the batter was fun, my biggest problem was in filling the pan too high with it. Since we were trying to create a specific shape I pressed in as much batter as I could, and threw it in the oven to bake. We had green icing for the actual field and Reese’s pieces for the Orange and Maroon fanbase, while using food dye to create a gray paste. As preparations to decorate were going on, I glanced into the oven to see the batter dripping over the side of the pan. This presented a rapidly gooey oven that was emitting small amounts of smoke. Thinking ever so quickly I placed a cookie sheet under the pan to catch the excess batter, but the top of the cake was going to get burnt. I (correctly) figured that the bottom of the cake could be cut off and still maintain its desired stadium shape. After baking twice as long as the directions said to bake all the extra batter, Angela managed to coax the cake out of the pan. Gray icing fixed any structural discrepancies creating an eye-popping cake. We will not eat it, so I do not recommend myself as a baker, but it was a good New Years cake.

3 comments:

Brent and Abigail said...

you didnt eat that cake? I wouldve after the game :) great job by the way.

sarahg said...

Of course they aren't allowed to eat the cake - the Hokies finally won a bowl game! That cake is lucky. Stick it in the freezer for next yrs game!

Anonymous said...

while the oven is still cool, place tin foil on the bottom of oven, I will catch any drips and save on washing. you get a moister cake by over filling. I bake most of my cakes at 325, low and slow. It looked great! Aunt sandy