Two Hokies and a Poodle

Monday, September 08, 2008

Catching that wind

It’s no surprise that my brother and I both love to be out on the water, since we were both raised along the water…in San Diego and Virginia Beach. I love being at the beach and in the sun, and my brother loves to sail and do anything with boats. So when he came to visit last month, we rented a boat with two of his friends and went sailing. This was my first sailing experience out on the ocean, as I have only done little sailboats at sailing camps on lakes and rivers, and that was back in the day, so I really don’t have any sailing skills to say the least. My brother, on the other hand, is on the sailing team at the Coast Guard Academy and owns his own sailboat (which still makes me laugh). His two friends are both on the sailing team and had been sailing since they were little, so I decided to trust these three boys with my life. It was an amazing day out on the water, with the sun shining beautifully and everyone out for a Sunday sail. I steered the boat for a little while, but then freaked out when we were heeling, scared we would capsize. As the boys are yelling at me what to do with terms I don’t understand, I just gave up and had one of them do it. They all had laughs and giggles over it, reassuring me that they were right there to grab it if I did something wrong, but I still didn’t think it was that funny, and enjoyed myself much more when I was watching them sail! We got a beautiful view of San Diego from the water, including the sky line and Point Loma, watched the seals hanging out, and sailed for some time along the Stars and Strips, a racing ship for the USA. It was really exciting being out on the water, and when James and I get more settled in, we are going to take some sailing classes together, so we can enjoy San Diego from the water again and again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will leave the sailing to you and James and Tony. I prefer my boats to stay upright.
Love, Mom B.