Two Hokies and a Poodle

Monday, April 28, 2008

The wonders of I-81

There is no interstate quite as breathtaking as I-81 on a beautiful spring day. Though I have driven this road hundreds of times over the last six years, I am continuously struck by the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains and of the serene country side. When driving, I have to be careful to pay attention to the road, as the rolling hills and lush landscape draw me in…even in the wintertime! (No…I wasn’t taking pictures while driving…) Of course there is usually a semi running me off the road and ruining my sightseeing, but I love it nonetheless. After a call for thunderstorms cancelled our hiking plans and sent us back to the 757 early, James and I took to the road to enjoy the beautiful views of I-81 and to be harassed by semis.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately for you, you miss the best part of I-81 - from Harrisonburg north. Driving in the Shenandoah Valley between the Allegany Mountains and the Blue Ridge is spectacular. It is actually rather boring from Lexington to Salem.

Anonymous said...

Actually...my favorite part of the drive is on Afton Mountain on 64...unless it's snowing...or foggy...or iced *like when we drove back from GPs 80th birthday* Good times!

Anonymous said...

Will be on the Harrisonburg/Staunton section tomorrow bringing Mary home!
G