Two Hokies and a Poodle

Monday, March 19, 2007

Mystic Pizza


I didn’t have to work the week of spring break, so James and I decided we would go visit Tony at the Coast Guard Academy! We hadn’t seen him there since we dropped him off for swab summer last July, and we didn’t know when we would get a chance to go and visit again, so we decided to go. It was only about an 11 hour drive, so we got there Saturday night in time for dinner. We ate at Mystic Pizza, a famous pizza joint where Julia Roberts filmed “Mystic Pizza.” The pizza was actually fabulous, and the restaurant is in a quaint whaling town that has been restored. It was very cute, and I would love to spend more time there during the day, especially at some of the galleries and boutiques. Tony was allowed to stay out until 1:00 am, so we went back and watched movies before we took him back to base. On Sunday morning we went to church on campus, which has an absolutely gorgeous chapel and listened to Tony sing in the choir. It’s funny at church, because you can tell which class is which by the way the cadets dress. First years have to wear their uniform at all times, which kind of look like pilots’ uniforms.
Second years can wear khakis and a coast guard academy polo, which Tony is very excited about, and Third and Fourth years can wear whatever they want to.

3 comments:

Brent and Abigail said...

I love that movie - we should watch it together. I didnt realize it was a real place. Did the pizza place come before or after the movie?

Anonymous said...

The pizza place came before the movie...I've never seen it. But, now it has all sorts of stuff from the movie decorating it. It's really cool, and the pizza was amazing!!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie but I think I read the book. Is it about a boy who was taken off the street and returned several days(weeks)later?
The Naval Academy has similar dress codes but I think the first two years the cadets have to be in uniform. I love going to swim meets there. They have both Heismans displayed along with the Niasmith award.